Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Butterfly's Garden

This is my own Tula Pink Butterfly quilt.  I'm calling it "Butterfly's Garden".  I quilted one for Gillian awhile back.  Coincidentally, mine was under construction at the time.  I got the kit from Craftsy well over a year ago - I think sometime in 2016  - and started chipping away at it last spring.  I put a push on and finished the top late in the fall but didn't get around to quilting it until after Christmas.  I finally got the binding and a label on it for our long-arm group meeting yesterday so it's on the list of completed UFO's. 😎 

It's mostly Tula Pink fabric, obviously, but I did add a few stash fabrics that worked.  Also, I bought more of the background fabric for the borders.  I liked the fabric in the kit - but not for the border.  I wanted the butterfly to be the main event and felt that anything other than the background would detract from that.  I also added an extra six inches on each side because I may want to actually use this one on a bed!  In the end, it's a huge quilt - not quite king, but certainly a generous queen.

I am often asked how I figure out how I am going to quilt a quilt.  The concept for this quilt is "garden"....  keep going for more explanation ....

Because its so big, I don't have a good space in my house to get a decent shot of the whole quilt, draping it over some furniture is the best I can do (below).  Lee D, in our long-arm group, took a pix of it yesterday so I'm stealing her pix (thanks Lee!), which is the pix above.

My idea for this quilt was that it would be a garden, hence the name.  The design along the bottom border is adapted from a book of Art Deco wrought iron designs.  The idea is that it's a wrought iron fence around the garden (below).

Of course there will be other butterflies and some dragonflies in the garden.... and flowers.... and leafy things (feathers).

For this quilt, I started by ditching all the blocks in the butterfly using DecoBob thread (most of the rest of the quilting was with Glide) .  Then I quilted the antennae.  It took a couple of tries to get them more or less symmetrical as I'm not computerized - this is one place where it would be handy.  But in the end I like the organic result of not-quite-perfect.  I pinned the borders down as I went.   Once I got to the bottom of the butterfly wings, I went back and quilted the butterfly blocks. 

When the butterfly was completely quilted (I did change colours to blend with the fabric in most cases), I did the half inch outline all the way around.  Next - I  stitched in the outlines for the "wrought iron fence".   Then I stitched in the butterflies and dragonflies.  Note that I used coloured thread for these motifs.  All the rest of the background/border quilting is with white.  

I gradually worked my way around the background and border, filling it in with what I hope turns out to be fairly balanced.  I don't usually sketch out what I'm going to quilt - it's all in my head so I just hope it works because all I can see at any one time is what is between the roll bars.

A note about the grid quilting.  First - I measure it and draw it on with air erase pen.  Second - it's ruler work.  Third - I often use a grid as a background when an area needs to be quilted but I don't want to put a busy design in that place.  In the pix above, as an example, if I had put feathers where the grid is, the dragonfly would disappear.  The grid is a sort of "neutral" quilting design that goes in "behind" a motif or feature design.

Above - can't see it very well but there's a "lattice" running up along each side.

Above - the "lattice" on the right hand side - the diamond shapes.

And that's my Butterfly's Garden.  


A friend gave me a charm pack of "Dapper" fabric.  Then another friend gave me a charm pack of "Grunge" fabric (please note the links are included so you can get a good look at the fabric - I have never actually ordered from these sites so can't say whether I'd recommend them or not).  So I figured I had enough charms to make a charming quilt!  This is a little Craftsy pattern.  I added a bit of fabric to make it work - et voila!  My Dapper quilt!

The fabric is the focus so I didn't get too fancy with the quilting.  Used a 6" circle ruler and quilted some freehand fishhooks.

And - one more thing... on the last few little quilts I've made I've been using the facing method to finish off the edges.  Joe Cunningham did a demo in his workshop so now I think I've got it down.  I also found a video that he did to show his method!

Hex Again

Here is another little quilt I made using up one of the fat quarter bundles I picked up at a quilt show a while back.  More playing with my Hex n More ruler.  What can you do with a hexagonal quilt?  I suppose you can throw it on top of a bed or maybe use it as a picnic blanket or table cover?  I don't know.  It will be added to the pile on my "quilt storage bed" for now.

I'm calling it "Hex Again" - get it - hexagon - HexAgain???  😁😁😁😁😁

Above - "show and tell" at my long-arm quilting group meeting.

And below - the quilting.  I started out thinking that I'd do the circle medallions surrounded by the diagonal cross-hatch in the white.  Well - that lasted about 5 minutes until I got bored with the cross-hatch.  So I started to play.  This is what I ended up with.

Boxes - First Workshop Finish

This is "Boxes" - the first finish of my Joe Cunningham workshop projects

This is what we started with - a rather precarious arrangement of boxes!  "Make a quilt", he says.  So I did.  And here it is.

I used the method Joe showed us in the workshop for doing a faced finish on the edge.  I also found this video that he did.  I think I have the hang of it now!